From the Hall of the Rivers of the Ducal Palace in Mantua, to the living rom. “Ducale” is one of the new SM marbles of the Palazzo collection by Santamargherita, inspired by the most famous Italian historical buildings. The lightness and luminosity that distinguish the base of the material, contrasting with the coloured granules, allude to the Rococo style that inspired the Hall of Rivers. The official residence of the Gonzagas, an eminent family of Mantua, the Ducal Palace is one of the city’s main buildings. The oldest nucleus of the structure, which overlooks Piazza Sordello, was built between the thirteenth and fourteenth century by the Bonacolsi family, who dominated Mantua before being ousted by the Gonzagas in 1328.
Duke Guglielmo Gonzaga gave the buildings its organic shape, starting in 1556, when he created a single grandiose monumental and architectural complex, that extended from the banks of lake Inferiore to Piazza Sordello. During the long period of Gonzaga domination, the palace gradually expanded, with the creation of several nuclei: Corte Vecchia, Domus Nova, Corte Nuova and Basilica palatina di Santa Barbara. The interior of the palace features very little furnishing as the decadence of the Gonzagas forced them to sell the works of art and furniture that they once owned. In 1716, the Imperial Field marshal and Governor Philip d’Assia-Darmstadt had the palace partially refurnished with paintings, sculptures and furniture from former ducal residences.